Maua in Ruaha NP, Tz

Maua in Ruaha NP, Tz

Tuesday 1 October 2013

6 This is Tanzania!



More noteworthy than surprising was a difference in the airports, for example the size, the waiting system and communications employed: an experience repeated from Nairobi to Dar when I flew Dar to Mtwara. I had checked in and was enjoying a cup of tea with another Brit I bumped into (a seasoned traveller in East Africa) when I saw the time: the ticket said boarding at 6.30am; it was now 6.28am and we still hadn’t finished our tea! I panicked slightly and pointed out this dilemma, and my compatriot laughed at me. He told me they would call us when they’re ready! Still envisaging the lengthy walk to the departure gates at Stansted, Heathrow or Gatwick, I stayed put but finished my tea rather hurriedly, just in case, and perched on the edge of my seat with bag in hand. Sure enough, 20 minutes later the flight was announced and it took all of 1 minute to walk to the gate, down the stairs and out to the waiting plane on the tarmac...!

No comments:

Post a Comment