Maua in Ruaha NP, Tz

Maua in Ruaha NP, Tz

Tuesday 1 October 2013

3 Morogoro reflections



It's interesting to reflect on how I imagined it would be on arriving in Tanzania, and what it was like in reality. It is now already normal to arrange the mosquito net before tucking myself in, although before leaving the UK I had never slept under one. Hearing and not speaking the language isn't as alienating as I thought it might be, as already we learnt the greetings, and most people are so friendly and helpful when you try to speak it, or even just when you nod hello to them. We the mzungo - white people - are interesting to look at and wave to!

The time I really thought about how different life is, though, was when I realised we don't use washing machines. Imagine! Not just underwear, blouses, skirts, trousers: but towels and bedding too! And the clothes get so dusty and sweaty from the heat. Some colleagues in Dar have also said that the water they use is so salty that it strips the colour from the fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment